9.14.2011

LIFE // HEALTH

Photo and Design Copyright Haley Sheffield 2011

It's been quite some time since I got personal with my posts. Again, the main reason I choose a blog as the predominate website for my company is to keep a close connection with my clients--I want you to know me, trust me, and walk with me as I grow in my passion.

I don't really know how to beat around the bush. I have gained 40 lbs since high school.
Nuts.

I've been on an emotional roller coaster with my weight since I stared the scale in the face. The truth was hard to swallow. Difficult to understand. Even more difficult to fight. Being honest with myself about my weight opened the door for honesty in other areas of my life. I was busy and stressed all the time. I was consumed with my work (and Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.). I felt distant from God, disconnected from His Word. I wasn't enjoying my time away from my work--time with family and friends--because I couldn't get my mind off of it. I loved my work so much, it became a higher priority in my life than the ones I loved. All of this inward reflection made me feel awful. However, one day I thought to myself:

"My story's not over, though."

Once I realized this, I began--with much frustration--to take steps towards my health. It hasn't been easy, and to be honest, it's only the beginning.

I wanted to write this post to announce a few things (expounding upon the decisions, of course!):

1. Tuesdays are my new Rest Day
I tell you the truth, for months I would roll over in the morning, turn off the alarm on my Blackberry and begin checking my e-mail in bed. The day would then unfold in a chaos of frequently interrupted work, a continual stress of what I needed to get done, and hurried breaks to try and make up for time being lost. This got old. Burdensome. Out of hand. I was compulsively checking my blog, twitter, pinterest, RSS feeds, e-mail, facebook, voicemail. I couldn't seem to keep up. I needed rest.

2. Mornings are for Running and Reading
I know, many of you with full time jobs are rolling your eyes at this point. I always told myself that if I owned my own business--managed my own schedule--I would do two things:

(a) Exercise every day
(b) Read my Bible and another piece of literature every day

I quit my job as a barista at Starbucks last September. I have been in control of my schedule since then... and my schedule has been out of control since then. I hadn't begun to even attempt either of my goals. That changed 6 weeks ago. Yep. This week marks my SIXTH week of running with my Nike+ Sportsband coaching me along the way. This is the first time IN MY LIFE that I have stuck with an exercise routine for more than a few weeks. I am so excited. Reading has been a larger obstacle. It seems that as soon as I get to a quiet place, my brain starts racing with everything I have to do. I hate it. Immersing myself in the peace that the Word brings truly is at the core of my heart--I long to know my Maker more and more.

What would you do with your schedule at your disposal?

3. I am booking less [on purpose]
Hands-down, it is my heart to offer my clients the very best:

(a) Service
(b) Communication
(c) Quality
(d) Product

Fall of 2010 and Spring of 2011 were killer for me. I shot an average of 7 sessions a week. I was having a blast, but living off of adrenaline and suppressing a current of stress on a minute-by-minute basis. When people would ask me the common greeting of "Hey! How are you doing?!?" My response, for a year, has 99% of the time been "Busy, but good." I began to be defined by the stress. My close friends started their invites with "You're probably busy, but..." I was known for being BUSY. Not peaceful, kind, uplifting (those of which I truly hope I am!), but busy. Since Fall of last year, I have not experienced the feeling of not having any work to complete. My goal is to experience that feeling, even if for a day, by Thanksgiving. By the end of this year, I hope to cut my turn-around time in half, offering my clients a shorter wait until they get their pictures.
Saying "no" is by far the most difficult word to come out of my mouth. I love people. I want to take everyone's picture. However, for my health, and the quality of my work, I have to begin to book a manageable amount of sessions/weddings.

4. I am [in the process of] being more Efficient with my Time
The constant spiral of Facebook and Pinterest must come to a stop. I know I'm not alone in this. You get on Facebook for one thing: update status, look up someone's name, check out a new artist. An hour later, you wonder "What in the world have I done with my time?" Same with Pinterest. The site is wonderful, inspiring, helpful, and--well--addicting. It's moments like these that steal the best of me. Steal my creativity, my proficiency and efficiency, my energy... and, one of my most valuable resources, my time. It's as hard as breaking an addiction--but I am on the way to lessening my web-wasting-time. Matter of fact, before the end of the year I will probably take a month off of Facebook/Twitter just to break this awful habit.

Clients: I love you. You are the reason I love my job so much. God has truly blessed me, week after week, to meet and capture some incredible people. I pray your experience has been nothing but good! I cannot wait to continue on this journey with you all--offering you my very best and growing more and more along the way!

I wish the very best to each of you. Stay healthy: heart and soul. Life is so rich.


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Very good, and VERY wise for someone your age (not to imply that young means immaturity, you know me, I hate to step on toes!). Number 3 was vital for me. Glad you caught on! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this! I have been admiring your photography from afar for awhile, and it is so nice to hear I'm not the only one who has trouble making time for herself. I struggle a lot trying to juggle school and work and relationships and cleaning and WHATEVER there is to do, and I've had guilt about it for awhile. Your ideas are so simple, but somehow I've never thought to do them, and now maybe I will :) Thank you for being so honest and real!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley, I love this. It is beautifully written and so true on every account. Charlie and I are going on a cruise for our honeymoon and won't be able to have phone or internet for six weeks. We were talking about how strange but relaxing it will be to just focus on time with each other. I wish you luck in this new hard journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haley Sheffield, you bless me regularly whether it is through your photography or an encouraging word like this post. Im thankful for you, and what the Lord spoke to me through you through this post. Praying for you and for a sound mind and a continuous reminder that God is a God of peace and love and desires to be with you always.
    You are a blessing.
    with lots of love and prayers going your way, hope to meet again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an important topic-- even as a person working for another company, i still completely relate to this.
    i could spend my whole weekend working from home. because i completely love it, find purpose in it...but, then, i'm not rested for the days I am at work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this & everything you said is so true. Love you Haley. :) -Melody

    ReplyDelete