9.30.2011

LIFE // WITHOUT FACEBOOK

Hello, friends.

Like many of you, I'm sure, I've been in a self-control battle with facebook for quite some time now. I recently touched on it in a personal post, here.

Sometimes I believe God didn't intend for me to keep in touch with 1600 people. In fact, I can say with confidence that I'm sure of this. It becomes overwhelming to keep up with so many lives, comments, likes, etc.

In addition, a small current of pride started trickling into my heart--and I hated it from the moment I saw it. I don't like my consistent eagerness for attention, often through the medium of "likes" and comments. I began feeling like the response I received from facebook was a direct measurement of my worth--as a photographer, friend, family member.

While I understand that facebook is a wonderful tool to keep in touch with people, to express yourself, and to promote your business, I began to see more "cons" than "pros". As pathetic as it sounds--you really don't know how disgraceful it is to admit it--I was addicted to an hour-by-hour (or even more frequent) check-up on facebook responses. Which leads me to my final point:

Life cannot be lived fully this way.

I am a living, breathing, MOVING being with the capability to interact with people face-to-face... with the brain capacity to stick to a task without trailing off for more than 10 minutes... with the passion and (I say this with all humility) talent to succeed in the pursuit of my dreams without having to succumb to the requests of thousands of people who, for the most part, are not directly contributing to those dreams.

I am so ready to be more efficient with my time. I am ready to spend more of my days outdoors and away from the computer. I am ready to enjoy the relationships with my loved ones through one-on-one conversation, whether in person (whoda' thunk it?) or on the phone.

Life is full--and I refuse to cheat myself out of its splendor.


HOW TO CONTACT ME:

1. E-mail : khaleysheffield@aol.com
2. Phone : 4789540873
3. COFFEE!


HOW TO SEE MY LATEST WORK:

1. I have set up an RSS (Blog) connection to my Facebook Page that will automatically post new blog features.
2. Visit me HERE! My website (www.haleysheffield.com) is the first and highest quality place to see my latest work, as well as keep in touch with what's happening on this side of the camera. 


You are all marvelous. Seriously.

I wish you a wonderful weekend and life to the fullest.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. This is really encouraging. I was contemplating doing this today after realizing how much I was relying on facebook to feel approval by my status updates,etc. It was just becoming unhealthy. Then I convinced myself not to delete it, then I read your post today and decided to do it. Thanks for you post and thanks for sharing. I am a new photographer and I love your work and follow your blog, it's great to look up to a fellow christian photographer. Hopefully one day I will be able to take great pictures like yours.

    ReplyDelete