1.20.2011

Creative Session | Taylor Parker

I {heart} Taylor Parker. Clothing-wise, we are totally kindred spirits. So, you can imagine that taking pictures of fashion that I love with a dear friend that I love would be utterly enjoyable--it was nothing less than such. :)

Featuring her red TOMS, an awesome scarf from American Eagle, and for the night shots, a sweet eighties Wolf shirt she printed at Bang-On in Little Five Points (a slightly sketch, but wonderfully eclectic area of Atlanta--just right for all you Hipster Kids out there).

For this post, I'm going to fill my dear readers on a little of my technique. :)

It is truly a cop-out for a photographer to say that they have not yet purchased a flash because "I only believe in using natural light." Trust me. I, personally, have said it before. In my case, I am hoping to purchase a flash, but use of a flash seemed secondary (in my opinion) to buying a High-Quality Camera. The reasons being:

(A) I love vintage-styled photography, that which is difficult to create with modern flashes, but easy to create with modern cameras. (That's not to say I wont pour myself into learning flash technique when I buy one).
(B) At this stage of the game, I really have a fondness for intentional grain (i.e. static, fuzziness) in pictures--intentional meaning I know when it's going to show up in my pictures, and have learned the means of increasing/decreasing it at my wishes.
(C) I feel as though if it's darker outside, and the shadows are harsh, or if there's really dramatic lighting in a building... well, that's the way it is. The background in the pictures should be dark, the lighting more dramatic/harsh. To duplicate the feel of the actual setting, it is necessary to meter your current light situation and get creative with it! Art is relative to the artist, however, make sure you are still using good technique instead of being lazy. Learn methods for low-lighting situations. Study posing/wardrobe/composition for a more dramatic photo.

The lighting methods I implemented for this session were:

-Sunlight. (No, really?)
-Building light. (Quite yellow/orange, so you will find these photos in black-and-white).
-Head lights. (A.K.A. The bright beams streaming from the front of your car at night.) These were PERFECT for her 80s Wolf Tee.)

That's enough "Haley Method 101" for today. Now, enjoy the pictures!
























I am in love with how legitimately vintage the left shot looks, especially with it being out of focus. It looks like I could have pulled it out of my mother's chest of old pictures.







Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. these are amazing! her hair is awesome as well (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw!!! Thanks so much, ladies! Each of your opinions carry SO much weight to me! :)

    ReplyDelete