1.11.2013

CELEBRATE ENGAGEMENT // THE LOVE STORY

In light of the multitude of women who are raiding the shelves for wedding magazines (Might I suggest Weddings Unveiled or Southern Weddings?), pinning their hearts away for their Wedding Day Pinterest boards (for a real wedding this time!), and excitedly meeting with vendors (a few of my faves) and attending Bridal Shows (one of the coolest) to prep for the Big Day, I decided to dedicate today to Engagements. Oh, the bliss of saying "yes!" and starting to plan your life together!

I've already posted two incredible couples, Matt & Jessica and Joe & Allyson. Also, while you're here, feel free to revisit one of my favorite engagement sessions to date, MJ & Jessica.

Here's a little ditty on my engagement story:
I can't believe it was four years ago. Time really flies when you're having fun.
January 10, 2009, Justin Sheffield (the man I had determined since I was 16 that I would marry), took me out on a date. I didn't suppose that anything in particular was happening because he had convincingly told me several times that his plan was for us to get engaged at 25-26 (and God bless him for not waiting that long! I'm not even 24 yet!). So, he takes me to this snazzy restaurant in Downtown Perry (where he orders a filet mignon and eats 1/3 of it... which was my first warning sign). He then proceeds to go to the restroom. He comes back, says "Oh, crap! It's 8:00. I have to go to the bathroom again!" To which I replied "Okay, baby," trying not to give away the butterflies that just hit me like a tidal wave. He came back, did not finish his steak (blasphemy!), and we headed outside to walk around the downtown area. We walk to this window that was all lit up and he starts saying some exceptionally sappy and wonderful things--those of which I cannot remember for the life of me because all I kept thinking was "Oh my God, this is happening." "Calm down, Haley. It's not what you think." "I think it might be what I'm thinking." "Oh my God, IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING?!" He then hugged me (I do remember that because I don't think I've ever felt someone's heartbeat so distinctly). As I took a deep breath and prepared myself for--well, what no one could ever prepare you for--Justin asked me to turn around... that he wanted to rub my shoulders. Uh, smooth one, hun. At this point, I swear I could feel his heartbeat through his hands and at the moment he let go of my shoulders, the whole world seemed to stop. "Haley." I turn around. "Wiahuhagauoghalglu hguaihufilawbuileba uilaghaluiliabl uaigbaulial... Will you marry me?" (Was all I heard). And I don't think surreal even cuts it, but pushing through the fog of holy crap this is really happening, I managed to get out a "Yes!" We then headed to the church where we had to meet the worship leader for something important for the service the next morning (which, yeah, I thought was odd too), and I walk into the cafe area to see over 100 people there (our parents standing in front, of course) to celebrate with us. My girlfriends loaded me with magazines, everyone asked about a date (talk about pressure!), and my family gave me the most sincere congratulations of anyone. I remember staying up late with my best friend, thumbing through wedding ideas, and knowing for sure that tomorrow was going to be a long day because there was no way I was going to sleep that night.

Needless to say, here we are four years later (yesterday!), and being married to Justin Sheffield is so much better than I ever dreamed it would be. Life is crazy and we have changed so much over the years, but the love we share is something I cherish to the bone. I am overflowingly grateful for the man God has placed in my life. He is everything I could ask for in a husband and more. I cannot wait to walk hand-in-hand with him as we continue on this journey.

If you are newly engaged, or have been married for years, I encourage you to tell someone your proposal story today.

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. d'awwwwww! :) this is adorable. so happy for you and justin...you two are beautiful together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entirely AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY Engagerversary <3 thank you for sharing your story - just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete