7.19.2012

FEATURED // VISUAL SUPPLY CO. // MY VSCO FORMULA

I was honored today to be featured on the VSCO Journal as a VSCO Film artist.

First things first, head on over, check them out, and show them some love!
(I'm convinced that among several avid supporters, I might still be their biggest fan).




In response to the feature, I've received several inquiries from other VSCO users as to how I processed the highlighted session.

Although my editing process [naturally] differs from session to session, my base preset is Fuji 400H. It's really just a matter of preference, but I fell in love the instant I used the tool. If you went down the list of my favorite artists, majority of them would be Medium-Format film users who use Fuji 400H film (go-figure!). I love the hues... love the greens, the crispness, the grain.

To preface my "VSCO FORMULA", I have to emphasize that the number one rule is to
get it right in-camera.
For me, this means: [1] Exposing for the Shadows, [2] Back-lighting when possible (if that's the look I'm going for, which it usually is... the blown out sky, dreamy haze, soft glow), [3] Taking caution with my composition (I want my photos to have as much impact as possible, which means I need to be thinking about how the viewer will look at my photo--whether it's how they relate to it, what strikes them first, what strikes them the most... you get the point).

There are several other factors that you need to concern yourself with during the shoot that will make your session all the more moving. Connect with your subject. Have a "story" in mind. Slow down. If a pose/angle isn't working, stop shooting it. FIND THE LIGHT.

Enough with my Soapbox 101, here's the VSCO Formula I used for the images featured today.
Enjoy!








Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful...thanks for sharing.
    I do have a question. Are your using VSCO LR4 or LR3?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mia!

      I bit the bullet and upgraded to LR4 after having bought the VSCO Kit for LR3. Updated to their LR4 Presets and I'm in love! I'm a huge fan of the changes that LR4 brought, and VSCO accommodated them excellently.

      Delete
  2. Haley...thanks for answering my question. I actually purchased the LR4 presets and didn't know if I was missing anything by not getting the LR 3 presets....
    glad to know it will be worth it :)

    ReplyDelete